The International Baccalaureate
Graduates are expected to receive the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma in English and German.
DIPLOMA PROGRAM (GRADES 11/12)
The International Baccalaureate is a non-profit educational foundation that currently works with 3776 schools in 147 countries. The IB Program helps develop the intellectual, personal, emotional and social skills of each student to prepare them for living, learning and working in a rapidly globalizing word. The IB Diploma Program is an academically challenging yet balanced program of education. The final examinations prepare students for success at the university level and beyond. The program has been designed to address the intellectual, social, emotional and physical well being of students.
To earn the IB Diploma, the students study six academic subjects (three at a higher level, three at standard level), and they must meet the following requirements:
- Successfully complete an extended essay of about 4000 words on a topic of their choice, from IB recognized subject areas
- Successfully complete the philosophical theory of knowledge course
- Be involved in activities that have creative/cultural, active/physical and service/helping others components (CAS)
- Exams in the subjects of German, Biology, and History will be in German, and exams in the subjects of English, Mathematics, and Science will be in English.
Any school wishing to offer the IB Programs must be given authorization first. The German School Brooklyn is the first school in USA that will apply for the bilingual German/English IB.
The program has gained recognition and respect from the world`s leading universities. The IB Diploma is a qualification that
- is widely recognized by most universities worldwide
- encourages self-discipline and responsibility
- provides students with a broad, balanced and challenging curriculum
- focuses on international understanding
For more information about the International Baccalaureate program please visit the IBO website at www.ibo.org.